Thursday, February 10, 2005

Ashes.

So, I went to church with Jen and then to see Phantom of the Opera. I haven't been to a catholic ash wednesday service since I went in like 8th grade with Katie. It was nice and I really admire the sense of tradition. We sang this song, which I happened to really like, but in finding the lyrics learned that most catholics dont-it apparently isn't solomn enough for the occasion of lent, and doesn't place enough ephasis on the reference of God. ANyway, here it is. You be the judge--
1. We rise again from ashes, from the good we have failed to do.We rise again from ashes, to create ourselves anew.If all our world is ashes then must our lives be true,An offering of ashes, an offering to you
2. We offer you our failures, we offer you attempts,The gifts not fully given, the dreams not fully dreamt.Give our stumblings direction, give our visions wider view,An offering of ashes, an offering to you.
3. Then rise again from ashes, let healing come to pain,Though spring has turned to winter, and sunshine turned to rain.The rain we'll use for growing, and create the world anewFrom an offering of ashes, an offering to you.
4. Thanks be to the Father, who made us like himself.Thanks be to the Son, who saved us by his death.Thanks be to the Spirit, who creates the world anewFrom an offering of ashes, an offering to you.

Anyway, I like it. Please keep praying for my friends. Theres lots of hurt in this world, we can make a difference.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Man, I used to hate to have to sing songs in Catholic church. Everything was slowed down to a crawl, a painful, painful crawl. Halleluhah went from a joyful song at the Baptist church to the longest dirge ever at the Catholic church.

Unknown said...

i didn't mean to delete you but i posted the other day and then it didn't show up on my computer so i posted it again and then it showed up twice so i deleted one of them. what did you say?

Anonymous said...

thanks for posting the lyrics. i just got back from the Ash Wednesday mass and we didn't sing that song, but I was thinking about it the whole time cause I really like it. thanks again!