Wednesday, April 19, 2006

broken hearted.

Allison and I had a fantastic talk tonite. About not being able to be social workers. It's too hard. We both had bad nights which I'm sure was a precipitating factor. But there was no laughter. Generally, we all go out, we laugh and joke about our clients...but the reality is there is nothing funny about hurting kids. We both talked about wanting to be foster parents. And about how that would be super hard too. It's not so much about foster care being hard as it is about the fact that we aren't really helping anyone. The system sucks and the only way to really make a difference is to work the entire time you're not asleep. and you can only sleep for 5 hours. Even then, people have to want to change.

The lesson in all of this: DO NOT HURT CHILDREN.

Or elderly people.


In other much happier news: I'm going to the holocaust museum. In 48 hours, we'll be hangin out and spending the evening with erika. :) Then saturday early we continue our journey to Maryland. And we get to see Rachel and Joel!! and lexa, ryan, katrina, mark, leah, levi, seth, brandon and abby! It's gonna be some fantastic times. We aren't moving there-so everyone can stop thinkin that now-but it will be all kinds of good fun. I miss being with rachel and joel regularly. grilling, staying up all night playing video games, staring at the tv. whatever.

Last nite, I hung out with melanie and aidan. we went and saw the meadowview crew, and then met megan and ryan for some loco. It was good times. as it normally is.

i guess thats it. I'm gonna go make some dinner.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

As a former foster child, I hope you and / or some of your friends end up becoming foster parents and making a positive difference someday.

In the meantime, if you ever want to check out my blog, I would really appreciate your insights.

My goal is to advocate for children still in foster care, and to be a voice for them. The transitions that they are going through mean that their developmental needs are often neglected.

I want to help. Through advocating, educating (I give workshops) and positively impacting policy.

Again... the very things that wear you out at the end of the day might give me insight into a way to make a difference.

simplymama said...

*hugs* So maybe I'll come home again this summer and we can try again...I don't think I'm moving this summer...we'll see